To mail a letter to an inmate, please address it as follows:
Campbell County Detention Center
601 Central Avenue
Newport, Kentucky 41071
(No inmate number is necessary)
Please be aware that your letter will be returned to you if it contains prohibited items. The following items are considered contraband and any envelope containing these items will be returned to the sender with the entire contents:
- Tobacco of any kind
- Illegal substances, marijuana, rolling papers
- Lighters, matches or other incendiary devices
- Pornographic or offensive items (printed or photographic)
- Newspaper or newspaper clippings
- Magazines or magazine clippings
- Use of crayons, markers, glitter or glitter pens or stickers on any item
- Use of white-out, stickers, POST-IT notes, tape or other adhesive on any item
- Postage stamps, envelopes, blank paper/stationary
- Pens or pencils
- Cash or personal checks
- Polaroid photographs
- Photographs larger than 4"x6" or more than 6 photos
- Any type of books
- Any item available through the commissary (i.e. puzzle books, dictionary, personal hygiene items, snacks, etc.)
- Art supplies
- Any cards with glue on them (example: glued covers, pages)
- Cosmetic products used to mark on papers
- Any other items deemed inappropriate by jail staff
Items that are acceptable through the mail are as follows:
- Photographs (limit of 6, no larger than 4"x6")
- Money orders (see below)
Beginning June 23, 2014, ALL money orders are to be made out to the Campbell County Detention Center. On the memo line, please write the inmate's name and DOB, social or jacket number. The money order will be added to the inmate's account and a receipt will be placed in the envelope to be delivered with the mail to show the inmate the money was received and added. Please remember, all booking fees and charges for destroyed jail property MUST be paid off for money to be available for commissary.
Any money order received on or after July 14, 2014 that is made out to the inmate, will be returned to sender along with the original mail enclosed.
All money orders can only be received by U.S. mail, FedEx or UPS. It is recommended for those purchasing the money orders that they maintain a copy of the money order along with their receipts for your records.
Inmates housed in the Restricted Custody Center have separate regulations for their mail. Magazines and several other items are not considered contraband for this facility. Please contact the Restricted Custody Center if you have specific questions regarding mail.
Mailed in money orders will be handled as mentioned above.