If you have an interest in a career in corrections and are actively looking for employment, an application is available by clicking on the following link -
Applications can be returned by mail to 601 Central Ave. Newport, KY 41071, by fax to 859-431-5147 or email to Cathy Steele at email@example.com
Deputy Jailer (full and part time) - Starting Pay $17.50 per hour
This is a skilled position in a Detention Center. It is a sworn, law enforcement position with arrest powers. However, the power of arrest is to be used only on Detention Center property. An employee in this position is responsible for the supervision of inmates. The Deputy Jailer will perform all tasks in a professional manner. Work is performed under general to close supervision.
Examples of Deputy Jailer Duties:
- Be able to perform all tasks related to in and out processing of inmates
- Arrange for the inmates to attend court
- Supervise the general cleaning of the Detention Center
- Supervise the distribution of inmate meals
- Specifically supervise the cleaning of inmate cells
- Transport inmates to doctor, dentist, hospital or other appointments
- Process work release inmates out and back in to the Detention Center
- Search work release inmates and other inmates for contraband
- Search cells periodically for contraband
- Serve and file warrants
- Use and monitor a two-way radio
- Meet and deal effectively and courteously with the public
- Process and account for money received for bonds, fines, etc.
- Maintain daily logs and records as required
- Culminate an arrest on Detention Center property when necessary
- Write offense citations accurately
- Mark and disperse evidence properly
- Testify in court
- Assist all law enforcement agencies in a cooperative manner
- Be familiar with previous shift's activities and be able to pass-on information to on-coming shift personnel
Special Requirements for Deputy Jailers
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Must be able to read and write the English language
- Attend and successfully complete sixteen (24) hours of Correctional Training per year
- Must be bondable
- Must possess motor vehicle operator's license
- Must successfully complete a criminal, medical history, drug screen and employment background check
- Must maintain a high level of physical fitness
Maintenance Technician - Starting Pay $18.50 per hour
The position will be Monday - Friday from 8am-4pm
This position would work to maintain proper operation of all machines and systems within the building, do cosmetic repairs as needed and have the knowledge to build or paint as needed.
Employees must become familiar with and adhere to safety rules and procedures as well as keep their equipment and storage areas in a neat, clean, safe and in a good working condition.
Employees must be able to understand directions and complete assigned tasks. Employee will report to work in proper uniform.
Job Type: Full-time