Facts & History
Campbell County was established in 1794 from Scott, Harrison and Mason counties. It was named for Col. John Campbell a revolutionary war officer. Newport was established by Hubbard Taylor when he visited the mouth of the Licking River and laid out lots. He named the spot Newport after Christopher Newport, who captained the ship bringing the first permanent English colonists to Jamestown, Virginia in 1607.
Campbell County's first jail was built in 1796. It was made of round logs and was 16 feet long by 8 feet high. In 1799, another jail was to be built. This one was to be two stories high. A third jail was built in 1817. The dimensions of this jail were 25 feet by 17 feet with a stone foundation.
Kentucky is the only state in the United States that elects the Jailer, who is similar to the Sheriff and other county officers.
All jailers and their deputies are sworn State Peace Officers with the power of arrest.
The constitutional duties of the Jailer are defined within Chapters 71.000 and 446.00 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
Campbell County Jail
The Campbell County Detention Center holds maximum, medium and minimum security inmates. The Detention Center services all police agencies in Campbell County, including Northern Kentucky University Police and the Kentucky State Police.
The Detention Center also houses federal inmates for the United States Marshal Service.